Where do I even start from?
I am so overwhelmed with emotions right now. So there are pictures floating around on different social media sites about the killings of four University of Port Harcourt students in Nigeria. The claims were that these boys stole blackberry mobile phones and laptops in an off-campus hostel of the university. Some others claimed that the students were actually cultists who terrorized the community and at the time they were caught, they had dangerous weapons on them. The students were paraded naked, beaten mercilessly and eventually burnt to death. Please note that all of this happened in broad daylight!
My heart skipped a beat when I saw pictures and I couldn't bring myself to look at all of the grueling images but to discover there is also a video showing the act being done? I am terrified, irritated and just plain angry.
How heartless can a human being be? There is no regard for human life, no compassion whatsoever. How can one be numb enough to actually set another individual on fire and leave them to burn to death? And to think that there were people standing by taking videos? How do they sleep at night? Did people not intervene? Did anyone try to report to the authorities? Where was the police? Why do people take laws into their own hands? So they stole phones and laptops but what happens to the people in government that steal billions of dollars? What happens to the people bombing other people here and there?
Don't get me wrong, I know that even if the case was reported to the police, nothing would have been done but that doesn't justify people taking laws into their own hands by killing them! It is wrong to steal and thieves should be punished but it is even a greater crime to kill not only one person, but four people! I am quite disappointed and angry that people actually stood by, took pictures and even recorded a damn video of lives being taken away! How insensitive can we be?
The reasons behind these killings make absolutely no sense to me. I bow my head in prayers for my country. We really need help.
No comments:
Post a Comment