Saturday, September 29, 2012

Girl Problems: That time of the month... How I helped myself.

I was a little reluctant to write about my dear friend, Ms Reddengton but I feel like this needs to be shared. It might be helpful to someone who is in the same situation as I was.

I was at the school bookstore going about my business when, all of a sudden, I felt dizzy. I called on the manager and told her I didn't feel so well. She took me into her office and asked if I was alright. I told her I was weak and was nauseated. I was too weak to make any more comments. Ugh, it seemed like the motrin wasn't working. My hands were shaky and I was cold. The pain I felt in my head was comparable to the tune of pounding of Iyan done by the women of Ondo state. My mid section was throbbing and felt like it was getting ripped apart by some unkind and unnatural force. Was that a number 2 I felt or just an illusion? I couldn't feel my legs and I was sweaty. I felt like I was going to pass out at any minute.

I laid on the floor and thought I could wait it out like I normally did but it only seemed to get worse. I was beginning to cause a scene and asked for help with getting back to my dorm room but to no avail.  A few minutes later I heard voices. It was the paramedics. I tried to stall because I didn't want to go to the emergency room. Besides, I didn't want to be the girl that went to the emergency room because she had menstrual cramps when there were more important cases to be dealt with. After a while of fussing about not wanting to go, I eventually gave in. I knew at that point that something needed to change. I am not about this kind of life.

My visit to the hospital seemed short. I didn't want to be there. The doctor checked on me and prescribed some powerful pain killers. They left me for a long time and no one seemed to notice I was there until I went and asked if I could leave. I realized that if I stayed longer, my bill would be unbearable. My thoughts were filled with all the homework that needed to be finished, and an exam that needed to be studied for. Ugh, I absolutely hated the smell of the hospital. It made me feel worse than I already felt. "This can't be the life", I thought to myself. I was released after paying the last $50 in my account. I went to the pharmacy and got my medication and my friend took me home.

On getting to my apartment, I felt a lot better and decided it was time to make a few changes. The first thing I did was to see a gynecologist to ask for some solutions. She said I had an imbalance in my hormones and mentioned birth control as a way to regulate it. I didn't like that idea and asked for other options. I told her I was worried the pill will mess with my system and her response was, "Let me worry about messing up your system and fixing it if it gets messed up". I was shocked! It's my body and I don't want it messed up. I stood up after giving her the side eye, thanked her, and was on my way out. I did some research on simple healthy and natural ways to relieve menstrual cramps online as I refused to put any more pills in my body. I started by drinking a lot more water. I added more fruits and vegetables to my meals and started doing some simple body stretches.

The next month came along with my $300 hospital bill as well as Ms Reddengton.

With Ms Reddengton, I felt the exact same way as always but without the nausea. I was excited that something was working. I got up, stretched and went for a quick run, and continued my activities like normal. I noticed that I didn't totally lose the cramps but it wasn't as bad. I didn't feel nauseated or weak. I was energized and was ready to take on the day. It wasn't until then and $300 later that I realized that I may have found a solution to my ultimate enemy.

The changes I have made:
1. I try to run about 3 times a week. (It's been a struggle, but I try).I might be looking at a 5K pretty soon
2. I eat more fruits and vegetables.
3. I drink at least 64oz of water or more per day.
4. I cut out the sodas. I'm not a big coffee drinker but I have cut the little I drink out too.
5. I use a hot water bottle when I lay in bed and drink warm water.

 These changes have not only helped with the cramps but also with my health in general. I feel great and my skin is gradually being thankful. It only took me about 11 years to realize and put into action a solution to this problem smh.


Let me know what works for you if you have ever had this problem.
Much love!



"Worry looks down, faith looks up"


No comments:

Post a Comment